Are you concerned about your child's reading
Reading is the secret to your child’s success in school.
- Set aside a short time, say 10 mins, each day for reading with your child. Many parents use the bed time routine for this.
- Always let the child pick the book/story that they want you to read to them.
- Get comfortable with the child and cut out background noise and distractions, turn off the TV, mobile phone etc.
- Encourage older siblings, babysitters, grandparents to read to the child.
- Talk about the story afterwards, ask the child to tell the story in their own words.
Paired reading with your child
- Paired reading is where the adult or older child reads alongside the younger child.
- Read aloud together, slow down your pace to match the child
- The child will not worry about new words and can enjoy the story
- Ask the child to say the story in their own words
Helping older children
- Set aside a quiet time and place, let the child know you are giving them 10 mins of your time, with no phones, TV etc
- Let the child pick the book/story. If you need help selecting age appropriate books as the librarian, class teacher or local bookseller.
- When they get a word wrong allow them to finish the sentence, they will often realize that they have made a mistake and self correct.
- If they struggle with a word just state it correctly.
- Don’t keep the child guessing at a word for a long time, as they will forget the story and miss out on the enjoyment.
- Talk about the story afterwards
- Praise the child for reading
Tips for busy parents
- Words are everywhere, cereal packets, shop windows, T shirts…. You will never be lost for an opportunity.
- Buy a book as a present for your child when going on holidays, long journeys, Christmas, Birthdays etc.
- In the car try playing I spy.
- In the supermarket ask the child to read the shopping list, read the signs, read the packet, look for the price etc.
- Read the paper or teletext to find out what is on TV
- Read a packet to see how long something takes to cook
- Read and look out for road signs on a car journey
If you have concerns about your child’s reading a basic reading test can be completed in about 15 mins. Contact us today for an appointment.