Is my child ready for school?
Many parents are concerned that if they send their child to school too early that they will have difficulty catching up with the rest of the class. It is not the age of the child that matters as much as their stage of development. Here are a few key questions to ask:
- Can my child speak clearly and be understood by stangers?
- Is my child able to express their needs, e.g. ask to go to the toilet?
- Can my child put on and off his or her coat, shoes etc.?
- Can my child manage a lunch box, open and carton or pour a drink?
- Can my child go to the toilet and wash their hands?
- Is my child able to wait in turn for a few minutes?
- Can my child sit quietly and listen to a story?
- Can my child understand basic concepts such as little/large, heavy/light, under/over?
- Is my child able to sort and match objects?
- Can my child follow a basic sequence?
Suitable for preschool children who need extra support to get ready to attend mainstream school in September 2012.
6 week course during July & August starting on July 16th.
One to one attention only €30 per session.
Language through play using the WellComm program supports children who have had speech and language issues. We also use the ‘Handwriting Without Tears’ and ‘Get set for school’ program which supports children who may have poor pincer grip or fine motor skills. As sessions are on a one to one basis with the child and the parent an individualised program is set out for each child.
If you have a concern contact us and we can carry out a developmental check to establish if your child has the skills necessary to cope in school.